Friday, July 08, 2005

They say you learn something new every day.

You don't.

You learn very little for a period of 7 months or so while you serve coffee to the good people of Bolton, Durham and Manchester, and then you go on a 4 day training course in London and you subsequently learn around fifteen thousand new things to see, do and say.

Having said that, my 4 day training session did turn into a 3 day training session following the cancellation of day four. This was due, of course, to the terrorist attacks on London which occurred on day 3. It was a little odd to be in London on Thursday. It was even odder catching the tube into London this morning. One of the most noisy and busy cities in the world took on an eerie calm- which is, of course, to be expected.

My experience of July 7th was unremarkable. I got the train to work and arrived at 9. Just before lunch at 11.30, we were informed of the news. I left the tube network at the very minute the first bomb detonated- around 8.50am- but neither heard nor saw anything peculiar. This, I guess, is in itself, really quite peculiar. I guess I got very lucky- it was depressing enough watching the pictures unfold- even of uninvolved evacuees- never mind having to be a part of it.

The most distressing thing suffered was family based. Upset parents, concerned friends and me with a mobile phone that didn't work- either because of its general shitness, or because of the reduced network coverage in London in the aftermath of the explosions. It all added up to a seemingly unreal day. I receiving emails from Tokyo checking on my safety, while I was sat 5 minutes from the carnage, and had no idea it had even occurred. Bizarre.

Back to topic.

Training went well. I am still tremendously nervous. Bring on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home