Saturday, July 30, 2005

Time flies...

Wow. Tomorrow is the last working day of my third working week. I feel like landed yesterday. I also feel like I have been here for months, owing to the amount of things I have done. It's as if my concept of time has flown out of the window. Weird.

This week has been great so far. A tough week at work, with me no longer being a newbie. I am having to come to terms with working full time in the real world. There's always something to be done, it seems, and not even a fiftieth of the time required to do it. Oh well...Such is life.

I went to karaoke yesterday. It was a sort of greeting party for me and a leaving party for my predecessor Alastair. I am not actually his replacement, but he is finishing in a week. It gave me an opportunity to chat to a few students and drink a few beers in a more relaxed environment. My speech was shit, in all honesty, but at least it was a "hello" to everyone.

The evening started in an all you can eat restaurant where you cook the food at your table on a mini coal fire kind of thing. It has a name (f course), but I don't remember it. It was tasty, which I guess is all that matters. We ate, drank and drove to a karaoke place, which consisted of about 50 karaoke 'cubicles,' which you hire by the hour. We had 3 hours I think, and I sang about 5 songs ranging from Oasis to the Ronnettes. I enjoyed it, and so did the 10 students who had made it through to this late stage of the evening (as well as myself, Alastair and our manager.) It was 4 am when we left., but I was surprisingly bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, which was a good job because I had 11 children to teach before the afternoon!

I also got a hanko today. It's instead of a signature. In Japan, everyone has a Kanji that makes up each syllable of their name, with each kanji character representing the sound of each syllable. This gives every name a meaning. My surname (such as it can be Japanified) means wave, so that's now my signature. Pa, meaning wave. Strange but true...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home