Monday, August 01, 2005

Frustration

Today was a bit frustrating. Nothing disasterous, just a little annoying.

I had made it my mission to get a bank account and, subsequently, a phone. First of all, it seems like I ned to have a phone number in order to get a bank account, and I need a bank account in order to get a phone. Stupid bloody catch 22. Oh well...I soldiered on, gave my company phone number to the bank and continued filling out the form. I had a printed bill with my name and address on it, a receit cinfirming my alien card was on its way, my passport, complete with visa and my newly purchased hanko. I was also offering them about 300 pounds of my money. If anything, I should have been asking for their ID, since it was me who was handing over cash, but they didn't seem happy with my substantial number if forms of identification. They said I couldn't have a bank account unless I had another form, which was to be collected at City Hall. To make things more frustrating, the banks here close at 3pm every day, so there was no chance of me getting a bank account today. This also scuppered my plans to buy a phone.

At city hall, I requested a copy of the form that I had been told to get. It was basically a certificate to prove my application for my alien registration card had been passed. They were 300 yen each, so I bought 2 in case I needed them. The idiots then informed me that my alien card was actually ready, and I could pick it up today. What is the bloody point of paying for 2 certificates to prove the existence of a card if I can actually get the card itself for no money at all? They knew what they were doing. They knew I was getting the certificate to open a bank account, because I told them. They must have known that the card would have been all I needed. Oh well....I didn't make a fuss. Maybe the certificates will serve some othe purpose.

There was a festival outside my school building yesterday and today. Somebody (a student) told me it was to comemmorate the end of WW2. It seemed a strange way to do it tome. There were stalls selling goldfish and various face-painting outlets, as well as goldfish for sale. Kind of like a funfare with no rides. There was also dancing- all be it a slow, repetitive dance conducted in a large circl by some 50 people. All a bit confusing to me, to be honest.

Yesterday was fun. After work (the last day of my 3rd working week!) I went out for okanomiaki with 2 students and my manager. Okanomiake is a kind of Japanese omlette-pancake with your choice of ingrediants. They bring the batter mixture and the filling to your table, set into which is a large rectangular grill, on which you cook your own food exactly to taste. There is a lot of sooking at the table in Japanese restaurants. I like it. I also like okanomiaki....a lot.

Tomorrow...bank account and phone. Well, that's the plan. Again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home