Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Times they are a-changing

A lot has happened since my last post. Perhaps not least significantly I have entered the last 12 weeks of my Japan time. It's a little scary, but I think I am ready, and I have a good idea of what I am going to (try to) do when I get back to the UK.

Out here, I can count my very close friends on one hand. It used to be two, but on Tuesday I took Rachel to the airport and we said our farewells. This is the kind of time you are pleased to have such close friends to help you out. They were great :)

That wasn`t the only bad news last week. I also moved apartments (or more accurately, am in the process of moving- to be completed by Tuesday). Long story short, the guy next door didn't want me next to him any more than I want him next to me, so I am moving 2 doors down. It`s also 8,000yen per month cheaper, so there really is no reason not to.

From here on in, it's the home straight. My dad's coming soon, and before he leaves my friends arrive, so the days are going to fly by. I am glad in many ways- there is a lot to go home for, and I am looking forward to it.

This week was fun. Rachel and I spent her final 8 days together, which worked out really well. We had friends round for a Monopoly party, visited a few bars and ate a fair amount of food (including the best sushi I have ever tasted. It was still moving!!).

Tuesday was airport day. Having said our good byes, I set off back home. A couple of tiny old ladies got on the train so naturally (being a hero and everything) I gave up my seat and helped them stow their luggage overhead. When a seat next to them became free, I had a chat with them (in my best pigeon Japanese, which amounts to some adjectives). It turned out they were on their way to climb Kinka- the mountain in Gifu. They had already been up Fuji and various oter mountains around the world. I started to think that they should have given their seat up for me, but I didn't say anything. They gave me some omigiri (rice ball) whih was absolutely foul, but I had to eat it all to be polite. What a crappy day! I njoyed talking to them though.

Since then I have slept and booked a hotelin Hiroshima for my dad and me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home