Thursday, November 10, 2005

Nikko...

So, last weekend I visited Nikko, near Tokyo. It really is a beautiful place- thoroughly recommended for a day (or 2 day) trip, if anyone finds themself over here. I don`t think I liked the place as much as Nara, but that is in no way an insult- iNIkko has plenty to offer.

On day one, we headed to the `temple and shrine zone.` Most touristy places in Japan have a famous religious building, relic or in this case carving to entice visitors to visit. The carving in Nikko is a version of the 'hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil` monkeys- which are in actuality pretty small, but significant none the less.

Far more impressive than the shremples is the setting. Nikko has trees and rivers a-plenty (including a very famous red bridge) as well as more far afield waterfalls and mountainous scenery that we visited on day2.

I was a little dissapointed with the famous Nikko waterfalls. I like to walk up close to my waterfalls and really feel the force, so to speak, but NIkko keeps sightseeing on an organised level, prviding a 3-storied viewing platform- which is ok, I guess. However, my favourite part of the trip was a hike through some woodland to Nikko lake. IT was really sunny, nice and cold with many autumn leaves on the floors (the colours in NIkko were amazing- from green to brown to red) - my ideal weather!

On both evenings we bypassed our quest for all things traditional Japanese and opted instead for traditional INdian. Cuisine, that is. THere was a less than impressive looking restaurant, with practically no atmosphere whatsoever, but it obviously stayed in business based on the quality of its curries.oth were really tasty!

Next weekend is a quiet one, but on the 21st I am off to Nagasaki (infamous for one reason, but wth many more sites to see). Until then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home